Thursday, June 17

"Eve's Side"

There had been a stubborn molar, wiggling 
like mad, dancing in circles for days on the left side
of my mouth. It kept my tongue occupied
when Adam wasn't around.

I thought nothing of it, at first
but it became looser, and more jagged.
I wondered what was beneath my wayward tooth,
expelling it from its smooth gumdrop walls.

My tongue felt around, finding beneath it
a hollow pit that tasted sweet like mango.
I told Adam but he just kissed me and
said "I could go for a mango."

When that snake first wound his thin body
around my ankles, I laughed
because his scales tickled my skin.
I mentioned my trouble and he prescribed

a simple cure – a few bites of a juicy apple
and that tooth would be a nuisance
no longer. How could I have said no
to such a kind offer? Is that Christian?

That's all it was, mere seconds of friendly banter
and a few satisfying bites of the sweetest
fruit I had ever tasted in that perfect garden.
Then the sky split open

and God came rushing down
on ribbons of fire and cloud, thrashing His arms and
crying. Each tear fell like dripping wax on my
sinning skin. I still have the marks.

He chastised and punished me and
used phrases like "labor pains" and 
"aware that you're naked." I was distracted
at the site of my molar laying in the grass.

4 comments:

  1. dee lance cee gib ons!
    i hope your having a wonderful summer :-)

    love-di

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I just discovered your blog and read it all the way through. Discovered many things. Thank you (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me smile

    ReplyDelete