Thursday, December 5

silver lining, or something?

i lived in 4 different apartments in the past 6 months. not by choice, of course, but whatever.

the transitive living situation and down-scaled possessions meant i could only have the bare necessities with me all this time: as many appropriate work clothes as I could fit into one suitcase, and no art supplies. i kept a few of my favorite pens and pencils and small sketchbooks with me, which live in my purse anyway and go with me everywhere. but i had to leave all of my paints, inks, brushes, pads of paper, big sketchbooks, block printing supplies, everything in boxes at my mom's house in Philly.

i brought my wacom tablet though, which is really lightweight. i just stashed it with my laptop, and then started keeping it in my desk at work. for any illustration projects i was assigned at work, i'd sketch out ideas in my sketchbook, and then start on the actual piece in Photoshop using my wacom tablet (like these posters, for example).

thanks to this, i've gotten much more familiar and comfortable painting digitally. it's exciting because you can cover more ground in one stroke (read: FASTER! i am a tortoise), erase easily when something doesn't work, and experimenting is much more fluid. but of course with digital, you're totally missing out on the texture and immediacy of paint or ink on paper.

it's been a fun challenge, though, finding different ways of achieving something similar to the textures i'd get with paint and paper. i know more about what i like and don't like, what i'd like to achieve with an image and a more direct route of getting there. all good things.

below are some little drawings i did (with my tablet) for customizable elements on one of the Little Brown Young Readers websites




oh and if you want to hear more about the half dozen months i spent as a kinda-sorta nomad, i wrote about it here as a guest blogger on my friend's NYC blog, Into the City

No comments:

Post a Comment